Article Category - Compensation Law By Angus Edwards 05 February 2019

A work injury can be painful and stressful enough, without having to worry about legal costs and getting legal advice for your claim.

The good news is that it may be possible to obtain a grant of legal assistance from the Workers Compensation Independent Review Office ("WIRO").

Set up in 2012, (WIRO) has a number of roles in assisting workers resolve disputes with insurers, one of which is to provide payment of workers' legal costs under the Independent Legal Assistance and Review Service (ILARS). This allows a worker to obtain WIRO funded, independent legal advice and assistance and learn about rights and entitlements to compensation. Funding can also cover the dispute resolution process.

Kenny Spring is an approved legal service provider under the scheme, and if a grant is available, you will not have to pay any costs to us for acting under a grant.

What are grants available for?

A grant of legal assistance may be available in the following situations:

  • Weekly payments;
  • Medical Expenses;
  • Lump sum payments for permanent impairment;
  • Return to work issues.

Grants may be available where a claim is denied or disputed. This might occur where liability is disputed, such as where there is a dispute that the injury occurred at all, or in situations where the entitlement to weekly payments is disputed, or where the insurer does not agree that treatment sought is reasonable and necessary.

Funding is now also available for work capacity decisions, where the worker disagrees with and seeks to challenge the decision made by an insurer as to capacity.

Funding enables us, as your solicitor to advise and act within the scope of the grant of assistance. This may include obtaining documents and medical reports, seeking a review of a decision, negotiating with the insurer, and ultimately making an application to the Workers Compensation Commission and appearing before the Workers Compensation Commission on behalf of the injured worker if the matter cannot be resolved.

How to Apply

An application for legal assistance can be made by us on your behalf, once we have reviewed your claim and determined that a grant may be available.

If you have been injured at work and need advice about your rights and entitlements, please call one of our experienced compensation team in Bathurst, Lithgow or Oberon on 1800 650 656. We're here to help!

Angus Edwards | Principal