If you are planning to open a business, or operate one, that produces, sells, or serves alcohol or food, it is essential to understand the legal requirements and regulations that govern the production and sale of those goods. Alcohol, beverage, and food licensing laws can be complex and vary from state to state. To ensure that you are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, it is often necessary to seek the advice of a legal professional with expertise in alcohol, beverage, and food law.
At Kenny Spring Solicitors, we specialise in providing legal services related to beverages and food. Our team has a deep understanding of the laws and regulations that govern the production, sale, and service of alcohol and food and we can help guide you through the entire licensing and business setup process.
We act on behalf of a range of clients in the food, beverage, and alcohol industry including:
- Alcohol Producers and Wholesalers – wineries, breweries, distilleries, cideries.
- Food Retail – including butchers, artisanal food makers, and other purveyors of food direct to the consumer.
- On-premises liquor licence holders – cafes and restaurants, accommodation venues, and Bed and Breakfasts.
- Packaged liquor – bottle shops and takeaway alcohol.
- Small bars
- Hotels and Registered Clubs
- Food manufacturers
- Food production, farmers, and wholesalers
Our services include:
- Licensing Application Assistance - We can assist you in preparing and submitting the required documents and information for obtaining a licence to sell or serve alcohol. We will work with you to ensure that all necessary information is included and that your application is complete and accurate.
- Planning – Assistance with navigating local planning laws concerning your business operations and compliance.
- Consumer law – Including the Australian Consumer Law as well as the sale of products directly to consumers.
- Sales and purchases of businesses of food and liquor businesses and businesses with a liquor licence.
- Business Succession – We can assist you with preparing your business to pass on to the next generation of business owners to continue your valuable work and structure you into the next phase of your business journey.
- Hotel leasing and management arrangements.
- Employment law – We can assist you with your employment needs, including agreements, entitlements, and Fair Work matters under Modern Awards.
- Work Health, and Safety – We can assist with reviewing your WHS compliance and defending claims in relation to WHS matters.
- Manufacturing Excise and Wine Equalisation Tax – we can assist with reviewing your documentation and assist you with applying for a licence to manufacture excisable products and also assist with the calculation of excise and WET.
- Product labeling and intellectual property laws.
- Wine Law, and
- Australian food standards and food law.
We are dedicated to helping businesses in the alcohol, beverage, and food industry succeed while operating in a responsible and compliant manner. We understand the unique challenges that businesses in this industry face, and we are committed to providing the highest quality legal services to meet your needs.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn how we can assist you with all of your alcohol, beverage, and food legal needs.